PowerMTA Support Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PowerMTA 5.5r1 is out!!!!  Please contact support@port25.com for a license and download access.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who wants to share traps/bounces/suppression?  (Read 54921 times)

goldbar

Who wants to share traps/bounces/suppression?
« on: March 25, 2011, 03:40:42 PM »

(I have permission from the mods/admins to post this)

Hey Guys,

I have learned a lot from this forum and my team and I are building a lot of really cool features into our system thanks to PMTA.

I have an idea for all mailers to help each other.

I am thinking of starting a CO-OP where we all share our traps, bounces, suppression info so that we can all be good mailers and keep our data clean and responsive (and our IPs with good rep as well).

We have developed a lot of techniques to catch traps and suppression lists and I am sure you have as well.

Is anyone interested in this? I know that you may be sensitive about sharing your data and that is understandable but I think we are much stronger together than we would be apart.

If there is interest in this, I am willing to provide the resources to house the data repository, perhaps a private networking forum to share tips and tricks and even the development staff (w/ mad skillz) to put it all together.

Any takers?

Marc

nickphx

Re: Who wants to share traps/bounces/suppression?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »

Why do you still have problems with traps? Don't mail dirty/unknown sourced data, don't mail data over 6 months old.. Sounds like you want to put together a spammer forum, lol. :)

Port25-Admin1

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 11:51:53 PM »

Not all customers use a double opt-in process, and as such, you are bound to get junk email addresses.  It's these types of email they are looking to clean from their system.  The idea would be that you would catch the emails on the first delivery with a "type discard" and then remove them your list after parsing the accounting file by looking for delivery type "discard".
Port25-Admin1
------------------
Try the following commands:
pmta show topdomains --errors
pmta show topqueues --errors
pmta --help

When PowerMTA won't start use:
pmtad --debug
When all else fails-->support@port25.com

Richelo

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 04:21:36 AM »

As most of our customer lists are single opt-in, I would be happy to be a part of this.

Count me in!

goldbar

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »

Nick,

Why would you say that without knowing who I am and what I do? I don't want to put together a spammer forum. I want to work together to SHARE SUPPRESSION DATA and TRAPS.

We run a legit ESP.

Most of our mailers are marketers who have SELF GENERATED data.

While we push COI on our best IPs, most of our mailers dont want to use COI. Single Opt In can cause traps as can rabid anti-spammers who load their data through APIs we might provide to our biggest mailers.

If you don't see the benefits of sharing data than congratulations. If that is not something you agree with there is no need to reply.

Marc

goldbar

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »

Hi Richelo,

Looking forward to working with you. Please contact me by email using the addy in my profile.

Best,

Marc

goldbar

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »

Had a few people reach out to me from my email address. Looking fwd to getting more.

If you don't have enough posts in your profile to see my email and want to contact me, please contact owners AT goldbar do+ net

Teneo

• Teneo ESP Services
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 03:13:53 AM »

We run a legit ESP.

Dear Marc

Where can I find more information on the ESP activities ? (web URL ?)

goldbar

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »

Hi Teneo,

goldbar.net & gbresponder.com

Marc

ayates

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:31:56 AM »

Bit late in my reply here, but I'm interested.  Have emailed you gold bar.

tapatti

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »

Why do you still have problems with traps? Don't mail dirty/unknown sourced data, don't mail data over 6 months old.. Sounds like you want to put together a spammer forum, lol. :)

Even with COI/Double Opt-in, traps and bad addresses make their way into databases. Don't presume that all DNSBL operators & anti-spammers are ethical people. I have seen more than enough evidence from 15 years of experience in the email industry of foul play ie deliberately signing up and confirming at web sites with trap addresses.

The newest battle is how to verify addresses from social network invites that are imported from user's address books by their request. There is no way to determine the quality of the user's contact addresses. Even after filtering  out over 50% of what I import there's still a chance of hitting a trap. For anybody who likes to say that address book importing is bad and shouldn't be done, hundreds of sites use this technique - lead by the largest - Facebook. The top email providers - Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo & AOL not only approve of it but encourage it through active development and promotion of their APIs.

Yes I would be interested in sharing some of the data I've collected from the last few billion emails I've sent.  Sending you an email Goldbar.     

techteam

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 12:41:54 AM »

goldbar sent you mail need traps,bounces and supperssion

rjakupi

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »

I would love to participate on this idea. We are also a legit ESP (a small on for now) and we want to protect our IP.
I had a similar idea, and I was working on this direction but id not had enough data to create a real solution.
Let say you get a client that uploads a list, no matter how many times you warn them that list has to be a double opt-in we all know that there are a lot of newbies or just people who don't listen. It would be great if we have data that we can scan the list and determine how many traps, bounces and supperssion are already on the list. This would help rate the client instantly and make a decision if you want those clients on your IP's or not.

So I am ready to start sharing the data.

techteam

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 05:15:19 AM »

(I have permission from the mods/admins to post this)

Hey Guys,

I have learned a lot from this forum and my team and I are building a lot of really cool features into our system thanks to PMTA.

I have an idea for all mailers to help each other.

I am thinking of starting a CO-OP where we all share our traps, bounces, suppression info so that we can all be good mailers and keep our data clean and responsive (and our IPs with good rep as well).

We have developed a lot of techniques to catch traps and suppression lists and I am sure you have as well.

Is anyone interested in this? I know that you may be sensitive about sharing your data and that is understandable but I think we are much stronger together than we would be apart.

If there is interest in this, I am willing to provide the resources to house the data repository, perhaps a private networking forum to share tips and tricks and even the development staff (w/ mad skillz) to put it all together.

Any takers?

Marc

hi any update ,i have sent mail and message to goldbar i am interested in trap,bounce, suppression list can you share it so that we can also share, we do have around 120million email lists .

lukewd

• TotalSend
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »

we also run an ESP and are interested in sharing/cooperating on this data. please keep me in the loop.
Pages: [1] 2