PowerMTA Support Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PowerMTA 5.5r1 is out!!!!  Please contact support@port25.com for a license and download access.

Author Topic: How long does blocks usually last for major ISPs and how to get off them  (Read 30859 times)

neostorm

Hi,
Anyone know how long blocks generally last for the 4 big major ISPs? And how to get off them?

Hotmail
Yahoo
AOL
Gmail

Sometimes I would get  a messages back from hotmail telling me that they would mitigate our IPs. Sometimes They wouldnt. They seem to mitigate new IPs only. Also, sometimes when there are blocks on our IP in the past they would tell me that there was a block before but dont see any blocks on that IP anymore. And sometimes there would be temperary blocks that they said would be removed within the next 24hrs.

So does anyone know how long blocks usually last? Its hard to build an IP reputation when the blocks stay in effect. I just dont want to reassign a new IP for warming if I can simply wait for the block to be lifted and start slower or something.

Ive only listed hotmail because they seem the most responsive. Forget about gmail. They never respond. So I have no idea how long I should put off before trying to redeliver to gmailers or do I need to assign a new IP.

As for yahoo, the only thing I can do if yahoo starts with a permanent block is to email them for whitelisting. If you are pretty clean and have a decent amount of history, they will email back telling you that they have made changes to their system and while not exempting you from their filters, we should start seeing better delivery...etc

As for aol, I see that I can have good senderscore reputation of 90+, BUT still have a bad IP reputation using aol ip reputation tool.

Anyway, if anyone cares to share their experiences with the major ISPs regarding how long blocks generally last and/or how to get off them, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
lc

fecdirect

Re: How long does blocks usually last for major ISPs and how to get off them
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »

Hello,

I think most of the times it takes about a year for the IP range to get cleared.

For gmail if you check any range after 1 year it will surely be inbox, but in this 1 year no mails should go out from those IP's

For hotmail and aol you can apply for delisting after 4 months, hotmail 80% of the times you can recover the IP's

Thanks
fecdirect

neostorm

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »

Hey thanks for the input.

nickphx

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:34:48 PM »

60-90 days unless your ips were blocked because of a serious spam problem.

CaLViN

• Hasan Kurtoglu
    • PowerMTA Administration Service
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:59:29 AM »

Hotmail 90 days if blocked because of complaints.

Professional PowerMTA Administrator - Deliverability Expert

Contact me for Consultancy needs!