PowerMTA Support Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PowerMTA 5.5r1 is out!!!!  Please contact support@port25.com for a license and download access.

Author Topic: Gmail spam filtering very aggressive at the moment?  (Read 30409 times)

lukewd

• TotalSend
Gmail spam filtering very aggressive at the moment?
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:29:01 AM »

Has anyone noticed gmail being particularly aggressive in terms of spam filtering lately. Not only are we seeing more and more emails we send on behalf of our clients spamboxing, but we are also noticing a lot of false positives in our own gmail and google apps accounts... has anyone else noticed this?

is there anything in the industry news to reinforce this?

Teneo

• Teneo ESP Services
Re: Gmail spam filtering very aggressive at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 02:18:27 AM »

It appears to me that GMAIl is relying more and more heavily on DKIM based reputation to which they couple engagement metrics.
Once you do not have enough engagement your DKIM rep is down the drain and GMAIl will no longer inbox you.

Try doing some tests with same content, same message but a different DKIM signing domain.

bullockm

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »

Have you also found an increase in 400 and 500 errors? I am sure the DKIM signing is at 1024 as the headers are showing DKIM pass for gmail but the bounces from them on good IPs has gone through the roof!

Teneo

• Teneo ESP Services
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 04:32:07 PM »

We did not see an increase in 4xx or 5xx responses.

and GMAIL Team confirms there is no change in SMTP response.

bullockm

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:55:52 AM »

Thanks it must be my end then interrogate tech to make sure they have not changed anything.

clunk

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »

We've seen increased defferments at gmail as well recently. Teneo, where did you get your info from? That's good stuff!

Andrew Edelstein

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 04:03:19 PM »

We did not see an increase in 4xx or 5xx responses.

and GMAIL Team confirms there is no change in SMTP response.

That's not the same as no change in Inbox rate however.
We've seen our mail increase from 0% filtered to as much as 4% over the last week or so.

sonasystems

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »

We've been seeing slow delivery times lately. I haven't pulled the stats yet, but just from watching our PowerMTA monitor, we get lots of emails to gmail.com sitting in our queue, but no error messages from the gmail.com side. They eventually make it through. Anyone else noticed this? Is it some type of greylisting?

Teneo

• Teneo ESP Services
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »

We've been seeing slow delivery times lately. I haven't pulled the stats yet, but just from watching our PowerMTA monitor, we get lots of emails to gmail.com sitting in our queue, but no error messages from the gmail.com side. They eventually make it through. Anyone else noticed this? Is it some type of greylisting?

There is this little hidden mistery setting in PMTA that can help you deliver faster to GMAIL (specifically for gmail).

Try setting the min-smtp-out directive to 3 for gmail queue , then do a reload and a schedule command.
Mail will start going a lot faster  8) 8)

sonasystems

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 12:11:38 AM »

There is this little hidden mistery setting in PMTA that can help you deliver faster to GMAIL (specifically for gmail).

Try setting the min-smtp-out directive to 3 for gmail queue , then do a reload and a schedule command.
Mail will start going a lot faster  8) 8)

Thanks for the advice. I had our stats pulled, and average delivery times to Gmail is 7-9 minutes. Is that considered normal?

As for min-smtp-out, I could not find that one in the documentation. We already have max-smtp-out set to 2, but I never heard of min-smtp-out before. Can you explain how that helps?

sonasystems

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 12:19:25 AM »

I just read this post from the forum about this setting and Gmail. However in our case, we don't have multiple VMTAs (we just use the default), and we're not running up against any connection limits (server-wide) on the PMTA side. We have all our queues set up to use 2 connections per domain by default. Would the setting still help in our case?

Port25-Admin2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 06:40:33 AM »

We would suggest enabling "log-commands  yes" for gmail.com to see what is going on in the SMTP transaction and what errors they are returning during the communication, to see if there are  any directives that can help work around what you are seeing.

Teneo

• Teneo ESP Services
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 05:05:29 AM »

We would suggest enabling "log-commands  yes" for gmail.com to see what is going on in the SMTP transaction and what errors they are returning during the communication, to see if there are  any directives that can help work around what you are seeing.

Totaly 100% agree with you , exept that GMAIL rarely returns any usefull information  :-\

About the min-smtp-out : it is indeed an unpublished directive , so you will not find any info in the documentation.
7 to 9 minutes is to high for delivery on good IP's (depends of course on your feeding rate). Try setting min-smtp-out to 3 and max-smtp-out to 5.