Port25 Support Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BREAKING NEWS: PowerMTA 5.0 beta is out!!!!  Please contact support@port25.com for a license and download access.

Author Topic: Shared IP/Domains  (Read 3244 times)

sparkintern

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Karma: +6/-3
  • Posts: 118
Shared IP/Domains
« on: October 26, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »

Hi All,

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding ESPs using shared IPs. If you look at the headers of ESPs who offer shared IP service plans, they're seem to be generic and not personalized. For example, mta343.sendemail.com, mta223.sendemail.com etc.

I feel like the traditional approach is as follows: unique IP(s) tied to 1

Let's say you're sending emails on behalf of baseball teams- so all your clients are baseball teams.

Would you have different IPs/Domains for each team based off the logic below?
   teamred.com (low engagement- 20k)
   teamblue.com  (low engagement 30k)
   teamgreen.com (very high engagement - 95k)
   teamblack.com ( very high engadement - 100k)

Or given the vague but straight forward engagement metrics above would you do something like:
baseballteam.org
   red.baseballteam.org
   blue.baseballteam.org
   green.baseballteam.org
   black.baseballteam.org
   
   Is there any advantage in terms of maintaining reputation levels using a 1 generic domain with many subdomains?
   
   To throw one more wrench into everything, 80% of all send volume is purchased through legit data vendors while the other 20% are filled out a landing page form or attended a baseball game and opted in to receive. Assume all 'industry standard practices are being taken into account- proper dns records/authentcation, unsubscribe, fbl processing, hard bounce processing, proper 6-8 week ramp up campaigns.
   
Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Logged

ReyM

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Karma: +20/-4
  • Posts: 417
Re: Shared IP/Domains
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 10:53:06 PM »

This is a big open ended question... but in my mind there are a few ways to do things in a pure shared environment and keep in mind that this is based on industry.

For example - if you are newsletter / informational / retention marketing then volume splits work well (I did it for years at an ESP I worked for and we had great success).

If you are transaction / e-commerce / etc - then splitting by function is better. (Marketing vs. Order confirmation, etc.)

You can always cross pollinate a little between your splits to help each other out... but in general I have had success doing both.

1 - low, medium, high mailers sending out good content to good people who are engaged.
2 - news.company.com, trans.company.com, promo.company.com with each pool running their respective segment of email.

At the end of the day - the bottom line will always come down to:
- Content
- List Hygiene
- End User Engagement
- Consistency

ISP's like to see consistent mailers... ISP's like to get mail to users who exist... ISP's like to get mail to users who actually want the mail, who open it, read it, click on it and engage with it.

If you can do that - it matters much less about the topology IMHO.


Hi All,

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding ESPs using shared IPs. If you look at the headers of ESPs who offer shared IP service plans, they're seem to be generic and not personalized. For example, mta343.sendemail.com, mta223.sendemail.com etc.

I feel like the traditional approach is as follows: unique IP(s) tied to 1

Let's say you're sending emails on behalf of baseball teams- so all your clients are baseball teams.

Would you have different IPs/Domains for each team based off the logic below?
   teamred.com (low engagement- 20k)
   teamblue.com  (low engagement 30k)
   teamgreen.com (very high engagement - 95k)
   teamblack.com ( very high engadement - 100k)

Or given the vague but straight forward engagement metrics above would you do something like:
baseballteam.org
   red.baseballteam.org
   blue.baseballteam.org
   green.baseballteam.org
   black.baseballteam.org
   
   Is there any advantage in terms of maintaining reputation levels using a 1 generic domain with many subdomains?
   
   To throw one more wrench into everything, 80% of all send volume is purchased through legit data vendors while the other 20% are filled out a landing page form or attended a baseball game and opted in to receive. Assume all 'industry standard practices are being taken into account- proper dns records/authentcation, unsubscribe, fbl processing, hard bounce processing, proper 6-8 week ramp up campaigns.
   
Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Logged